Welcome
Welcome to the Official Dwight Schultz Fansite Forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, respond to, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please,join our community today!

The Horror

The Horror

Postby Choppercrazy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:09 pm

Please comment on Dwight's piece about The horror, carnage and irreparable damage that took place in Aurora Colorado here.
Choppercrazy
Playground Crew

Re: The Horror

Postby Sandilynn » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Dwight says it so well.

I have to admit I was sure the gun control advocates would go foaming-at-the-mouth rabid over this one. I even said it would happen in one of my posts. I wished I could have been wrong. And, of course, anyone who says we don't need stricter gun control laws is painted as having no compassion for the victims of the shooting.

We visited my 80 plus year old widowed mother on Sunday and this subject came up. My mother's response was that no one should have the right to conceal-and-carry. Don't worry. I argued with her. I couldn't let that one go by.

For one thing, except for the Glock, the other two weapons he used aren't easily concealed. I suppose if he were to wear one of those long duster type coats, they could be.

I also argued that all restrictions on conceal-and-carry will do is to strip law-abiding citizens of their guns. A person intent upon doing harm will always find a way to obtain a firearm . . . or they will utilize a different type of weapon altogether.

Maybe a good hunting bow in the case of a sniper? One site I visited showed that it is possible to shoot at least seven arrows in such rapid succession that all seven will be in the air at once. The author conducted an experiment to see if the claims George Catlin made in his journals about the Mandan Indians was true. He found it was. As far as accuracy, I don't know. The Mandan Indians were fairly accurate, I believe, when they used their weapons.

I remember hearing of one person who fended off an attack by using the sharpened point of a stake taken from a picket fence. One university student I knew concealed the peg from her cello in her pocket when she traveled across campus at night after spending a long session in the music department practice rooms. Obviously she felt it could serve a defensive purpose.

Another point I wanted to say but forgot to at the moment was about a smaller headline that appeared at about the same time as the Aurora, Colorado, rampage. Not so small to the three homeless people in the Los Angeles area this past month who were brutally attacked by a person wielding a knife to do his work. Some of the comments on that article included sarcastic calls to outlaw knives, too.
You're the best figment my imagination ever had.
Sandilynn
Stunt Pilot

Postby MizHowlinMad » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:33 pm

I have such passion on this subject. It's really hard for me to accept the knee-jerk reactions after such a senseless act. We tend to focus on the means rather than the end in these types of circumstances, which is to say: This guy appears to have been an accident waiting to happen. He clearly demonstrated expertise with explosives, so who is to say he would not have used those instead?

That being said, I do think we have a serious problem with violence in our country. I can't say whether it is caused by any one factor or factors, but one indicator I see over and over again is parents not being involved in their kids' lives. I hated my parents for it at the time, but they wanted to know what I was doing, who my friends were, etc. So many parents just don't care and let the media raise their kids for them...and the kids can't tell fantasy from reality on their own.

However, I've known plenty of people who enjoy "violent" content, anything from TAT to Stephen King novels, who would never so much as hurt a fly. They are well-adjusted and they know the difference between fantasy and reality. This guy clearly didn't, and while I can't really feel pity for him, I can't help but wonder what would have happened if he'd had better mental health care.
"I love the smell of revolution in the mornin'! It smells like hushpuppies!"
MizHowlinMad
Fixed Wing Pilot

Postby KaizokuShojo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:42 am

"...and usually with a smile and a moo!" is probably my new favourite line.
That aside...

I can only really say what I said in the initial topic that was started about it: people who do illegal things don't bloody care if you outlaw guns, just like the people during prohibition didn't care that alcohol was illegal. In fact, that made it all the more alluring to them. Really, do you think all these drug lords always get their guns and ammunition legally? Do you think they always get their drugs legally? Heck no, in both cases! And even when they do, KILLING a man in cold blood is not legal. But people that want to will do it anyway--gun or not. Arsenic, knives, fire, a two-by-four plank of lumber...a spoon! They can all be deadly! C.S. Lewis talked about the nature of matter--how a plank could be used for a noble purpose, such as building a fire or a house--as well as vile purposes--like whacking a man in the skull.

No law can change a person's ill intents. A man (or woman, of course) has their own decisions to make. That matter is even more complicated when the person has mental issues.

If we outlaw guns or make gun laws stricter, we might as well outlaw beer again, or outlaw motor vehicles! People die each day in car accidents, often because of their own or someone else's recklessness--like someone driving drunk.

I'll end it by saying: I'm glad my mom has a gun carry permit. She's gone cleaning a factory in a lonely and dark part of the city, and it's 11:41 at night. I definitely feel safer. (Now all I have to worry about is car wrecks...:roll: )
"Doctor! My capillaries are shrinking!"
Image POKEMON TRAINER MURDOCK wants to battle!
KaizokuShojo
Chopper Pilot

Postby bcbdrums » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:49 am

KaizokuShojo wrote:"...and usually with a smile and a moo!" is probably my new favourite line.

Arsenic, knives, fire, a two-by-four plank of lumber...a spoon! They can all be deadly!

mine too. XD

you remind me of a story my pastor told of visiting san quentin prison, where a guard was welding a thick, impenetrable wire mesh over a guy's cell bars. pastor asked the guy why, and the guy said that the day before the man had somehow turned his toothbrush into an arrow, shot it between the bars with a rubber band, and killed the guard on duty. :( anything at all can be a weapon...

as for gun control, when i looked up this shooting myself i found articles from a different shooting some years ago in colorado, where a young college student had first shot up a youth camp, then went to a nearby church and started shooting that up too. but he only managed to kill about four people because a woman in the church lobby had a gun in her purse and shot the man before he got any further. if guns were illegal, that man would have probably killed a hundred people... and i'll bet the gun control advocates weren't chastising that woman who was a hero to all those people.
"You know, the people that I create in there are m-...more real to me than anyone I meet out here."

. .Image
bcbdrums
Co-pilot

Highscores: 2

Postby KaizokuShojo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:10 am

bcbdrums wrote:and the guy said that the day before the man had somehow turned his toothbrush into an arrow, shot it between the bars with a rubber band, and killed the guard on duty.

And people say the A-Team is implausible.....

bcbdrums wrote:and i'll bet the gun control advocates weren't chastising that woman who was a hero to all those people.

You'd be surprised. Someone probably jumped on the fact that a church lady had a gun in her purse. (I kid, but, that's pretty much how it is on the news. If a story isn't "interesting" in one way, they'll spin it another.)
"Doctor! My capillaries are shrinking!"
Image POKEMON TRAINER MURDOCK wants to battle!
KaizokuShojo
Chopper Pilot

Return to American Politics