Welcome
Welcome to the Official Dwight Schultz Fansite Forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, respond to, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please,join our community today!

MBTI

Everything else that couldn't be posted anywhere else about the A-team, including everything about the new A-team movie.

MBTI

Postby Macrina » Fri May 12, 2017 8:58 pm

Any Myers-Briggs aficionados on the board? I'd love to discuss character personality types!
Macrina
Basic Airman

Re: MBTI

Postby flygrl513 » Sun May 14, 2017 9:17 pm

I think it would be awesome to get a sense of the personalities of Dwight's characters! Murdock would definitely be a hard one to analyze, but I think Lt. "Broccoli" would be a prime candidate...
flygrl513
Navigator

Postby Vballspieler » Mon May 15, 2017 10:51 am

I think character reviews would be awesomr.
[i][/Vballspieleri]
Vballspieler
Basic Airman

Postby Macrina » Tue May 16, 2017 9:04 am

Ok, so I’m brand new to the A-Team, though I HAVE finished all five seasons (And if I may say so, they met with an ABSURDLY undeservedly inglorious end. The network could have at least had the decency to let them get their pardon before sending the show to the chop block.), and the types I’ve more or less settled on are subject to change.

I type the show overall as being ESTJ…pretty heavily so, actually. It’s bold, confident, patriotic, helping-the-little-guy, logic-driven but solutions-oriented, action (It makes me think of the song “Answer to No One,” Colt Ford…or rather, the song makes me think of the A-Team). Also, there seem to be quite a few xSTJ characters in the show itself (and I think two of the actors as well).

Here are my current types for the main characters:

B.A.: ISTJ I’m most settled on B.A.’s type. He’s a very straightforward character who doesn’t change, like, at all over the course of the series.

Hannibal: ENTP I tentatively got here by the process of elimination. He’s too creative to be an ESTP, he’s not controlling enough to be an ENTJ, and those are really the only other two I considered.

Face: ESxJ I’m not sure about him yet. My first thought was ESFJ, but he often seems to be portrayed as an introverted feeler, which would make me think he’s an ESTJ.

Murdock: Ok, so the Captain is probably going to be the most controversial one to type, since he undergoes a considerable amount of character development and because the character himself is forced to hide his true identity behind a façade of insanity for much of the series, but after much thought and analysis I’ve concluded that Murdock is an ESTJ. I promise I can make a solid case for this and one that has so far convinced ME…but I can’t promise it’ll be better than a case one of you may come up with for a different type.

P.S. If you’re interested but aren’t familiar with MBTI, I personally think this page is a decent place to start.

http://personalitypage.com/html/portraits.html
Macrina
Basic Airman

Postby Macrina » Mon May 22, 2017 10:43 am

Oh, c'mon! Doesn't ANYbody disagree with me??

I mean, I guess I could explain my position even if nobody challenges it, but where's the fun in that?
Macrina
Basic Airman

Postby Allison » Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 am

This is really interesting! Granted, I don't know a whole lot about Myers-Briggs. This is going to sound weird, but what I did was try to put myself in the mindset of the characters and answer the questions to this quiz https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test. Not terribly scientific, and the results were subject to my own headcanons and interpretations of the characters. Oddly enough, I got the same results for B.A. and Face as you did, ISTJ-A and ESFJ-I. For Hannibal, I got ESTJ-A, and Murdock ENFP-A. The description for ENFP on the page you linked and TV Tropes highlights some of Murdock's major characteristics, like his creativity, energy, curiosity, and intelligence. These quotes on the personality page especially stuck out to me:

"Having an ENFP parents can be a fun-filled experience, but may be stressful at times for children with strong Sensing or Judging tendencies. Such children may see the ENFP parent as inconsistent and difficult to understand, as the children are pulled along in the whirlwind life of the ENFP." Substitute "child" for "friend" and you have the frustration that B.A. often feels toward Murdock. Also, "An ENFP who has 'gone wrong' may be quite manipulative-and very good at it. The gift of gab which they are blessed with makes it naturally easy for them to get what they want. Most ENFPs will not abuse their abilities because that would not jive with their value systems." Reminds me of Murdock's ability to talk circles around his doctors, Lynch and Decker, and the people he and Face scam.

(Apparently, Mabel Pines from Gravity Falls is also ENFP, which amuses me because she sometimes reminds me of a younger, tiny, female Murdock.)

I'm really curious about how you came to your classifications. It's really intriguing that Murdock and Face might have the same personality type.

On a sidenote, TV Tropes puts Barclay as INTP.
Allison
Basic Airman

Return to Other A-Team Stuff