Welcome
Welcome to the Official Dwight Schultz Fansite Forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, respond to, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please,join our community today!

Was Murdock unhappy in life?

Talk about our 'crazy' Captain in here

Was Murdock unhappy in life?

Postby Nance » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:45 am

A good question on another board. It really got me thinking. Is he happy?

What do you guys think?
I'm not insane, I'm psychologically challenged!
Nance
Navigator

Re: Was Murdock unhappy in life?

Postby Kasia » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:40 pm

Well, I don't think he's happy.
Of course, he has really fabulous friends and this is great value, but look at the disadvantages.
He lost his mom very early and his father left him, maybe H.M didn't even have a chance to know him. Vietnam left deep scars in his mind. On the run with Team his and his friends lifes are endangered; additional stress. He doesn't have a place to call 'home'. He's very inteligent - you may say it's good, but I think that smart people who see and know more also suffer more.
His behavior all this funny stuff is like a paradoxical reaction, a desperate attempt to forget about this whole misery.
Polskę i okolice ;) zapraszam serdecznie na http://a-teamfreak.blogspot.com/
Kasia
Navigator

Highscores: 8

Postby Nance » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:17 pm

Thank you for sharing your opinion Kasia. :)

I think that Murdock is inherently happy in life. That although he apparently has suffered some horrible things, he doesn't really dwell on it. Not of his own volition anyway. I think that what he's displaying can be seen as PTSD. That means that his memories can really push themselves to the front and he has to deal with them at that time. By joking around, watching cartoons, or by being just weird or nerdy.
I think that he's the most accepting of the things life has thrown him, more so than Face for example.
Nance
Navigator

Postby sidney » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:28 pm

Very good question indeed. In fact, the person who asked that question must be really good-looking and awfully smart.
I like what you wrote, Kasia... Although I don't think he's desperate, I so agree that there are types of people that are more prone to suffering and that character is definitely that type.
sidney
Airman

Postby Nance » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:09 pm

Hehee sidney! Long time no see
Nance
Navigator

Postby Allison » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:43 am

Depends on the situation, I’d say.

I don’t think there’s any question Murdock is happiest when he’s with his friends. He gets to be out in the world, fly, act out, spend time with Face, and annoy B.A. to his heart’s content. There are perils to the missions they go on, and risking their lives does bring stress, especially when those risky situations trigger Murdock’s PTSD. Despite that, though, I think he is happy when he joins the team on a job.

As for when he’s at the V.A., it’s definitely a mixed bag. He keeps to himself, and the nurses practically ignore him (“We just don’t pay any attention to what Murdock says”—ouch). Even with Ritcher, Murdock could not be himself, at least until “The Doctor is Out”. If I really wanted to indulge the angst, I’d compare the V.A. to a comfortable prison; Murdock has a nice space with his private room, television, and video games, but he is very, very isolated. It’s not ideal, but it does give him a good cover from the military police. Murdock is not happy, but he’s not miserable either.
Allison
Basic Airman

Return to Captain H.M. Murdock