Welcome
Welcome to the Official Dwight Schultz Fansite Forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, respond to, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please,join our community today!

Quantum mechanics

Talk about 'space' in here, the solar system, black holes, planets, pictures and interesting news about space that you found etc.

Quantum mechanics

Postby Nance » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:42 pm

This is so mind bogglingly cool! Maybe René Descartes was right.

http://www.collective-evolution.com/201 ... le-states/

It may be a bit dry for some but the video is nice to watch.
I'm not insane, I'm psychologically challenged!
Nance
Navigator

Re: Quantum mechanics

Postby flygrl513 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:14 pm

Great article! (My firewall blocked the video but I had heard of the double-slit experiment)... I'm by no means a physicist so I understand this in only simple terms, based on articles like this, but it's crazy interesting when you think about it. The light waves are not susceptible to probability modeling, and they take on the behavior of a particle when being observed... which defies explanation...

It is definitely an interesting exercise to extrapolate this phenomenon to ourselves. Since we can only guess, I'd tend to agree with the side that suggests our conscious awareness is the "observer"... I mean, theology aside. We have some level of control over our lives but there is also variability and unpredictability which we can't control. If we all started over you have to think that even making the same decisions and taking the same actions, environment and all else being equal, there would still be variance in the way events play out. It's just a single path now because we are aware of it, but there are an endless number of possibilities.

So I guess I agree with Descartes...
flygrl513
Navigator

Re: Quantum mechanics

Postby Nance » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:39 pm

And yet I can't really believe in alternate dimensions. I firmly believe that these other paths collapse after the event has passed. Leaving a line. But if the universe follows the path of a wave, multiple dimensions may be possible like the interfere pattern. I also don't believe in linear time. Which is how I found this charming article. Time might even not exist at all. Clocks measure something but is that actually time?
I'm not insane, I'm psychologically challenged!
Nance
Navigator

Return to Astronomy