Welcome
Welcome to the Official Dwight Schultz Fansite Forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, respond to, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please,join our community today!

Howling Mad World Review! show 16

Howling Mad World Review! show 16

Postby Choppercrazy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:53 am

Post your comments about the movie and/or Dwight's review here.
Choppercrazy
Playground Crew

Re: Howling Mad World Review! show 16

Postby Sandilynn » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:51 pm

I asked my husband if we could go to see Dinesh D'Souza's "America: What Would the World Be Like Without Her?" We went on Sunday after church as a combination movie/shopping/dinner trip. The Marcus Movie theater group decided to confine the showing to only one of its multi-screen complexes. To watch it, we had to go to the former Omnimax theater down on Harbor Drive in Duluth, MN. It wasn't being shown at the more highly attended theater complex in the Miller Hill mall area. Despite that, we weren't the only ones watching it. There were at least ten other people in the audience at this showing.

Excellent, excellent documentary with just enough re-enacted scenes to keep our anime/manga-obsessed 17-year-old daughter interested. She had American history this last year through her online school. I need to take some time yet and ask her some serious questions about the differences between what she learned in her textbook and what the documentary said. She has to know how to process the information she is bombarded with and reconcile it to fact, how to ask the tough questions.

My husband and I learned many new things also. I was more than a little surprised at the statements made by the Native American activist woman and the Mexican American man near the beginning of the documentary about their wishes for the United States. I realize I shouldn't have been but I was and their statements also made me angry.

I liked the research that obviously went into this and the several interviews (one with a Vietnam vet who had been a POW imprisoned and tortured in the Hanoi Hilton). I came away with a few different names to research and at least four books I want to read, including Zinn's "History of the United States" and the Alinsky books (just to totally clarify where the progressive mindset gets its inspiration from and what its structure and goals are.) You have to know the enemy to be able to frame the best arguments.

One of the times I remember thinking "They sure don't teach you this in the history books" was the part about the first female millionaire in the United States. Her name was Sarah Breedlove but she went by the trade name of Madame C. J. Walker. Even though she was born to black parents who were slaves in Louisiana, she built an empire with her business of formulating, manufacturing and distributing hair and scalp care products. Very interesting!

There were just two things I wasn't sure of in the film. The first was why the American Civil War was fought. The statement was that it was an issue of abolishing slavery. I understood from my reading and study that another big reason and probably much more so was the issue of a state's Constitutional rights to determine the laws governing their individual states, outside of those duties that the national government was responsible for, like protection from foreign invaders.

The second was the known fact about the Native American population and how many succumbed to diseases they were not immune to like measles and smallpox. I had read that some (not all) of the tribal exposure to those diseases was intentional and accomplished by means of giving blankets and other such things that had been in contact with people who had those diseases. If there are any better sources that show this is untrue, I would like to know where to find them so I could read about it. It would also be nice to know what the statistics were on the unintentional versus the intentional exposure to those diseases.

I can join with Dwight in highly recommending this documentary.
You're the best figment my imagination ever had.
Sandilynn
Stunt Pilot

Re: Howling Mad World Review! show 16

Postby Bix » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:10 am

Just to comment on your Native American remark... the statement you made about "tribal exposure to those diseases was intentional and accomplished by means of giving blankets and other such things that had been in contact with people who had those diseases" was probably not a common practice, but it was at least invoked on one occasion (http://www.thefurtrapper.com/indian_smallpox.htm - halfway down the page, see "Fort Pitt"). This was a true and documented event. Remember, human beings can be quite cruel and deceptive when they've got an agenda.

What has to be remembered is that all it takes to start an epidemic, or even a pandemic, is to infect one person-- so this deliberate handing-out of contaminated blankets means that there was willful desire to infect and decimate an entire population. Everything starts small. How far did those infections spread? No one can say for sure, as infections were occurring all through Mexico, Puerto Rico and the Caribbean, Canada and the U.S. because of contact with sick individuals that Native Americans came into contact with. But it was a wrong act that caused deaths and is therefore one that should not be forgotten, glossed over or downplayed ("well, it was only ONE time in recorded history..."). Because that is devaluing even the one life that such maliciousness took from this planet.

"He who saves one life... is as if he saves an entire universe. He who destroys a life... is as if he destroys an entire universe." (http://www.aish.com/sem/wp/Part_8_The_J ... ctive.html)

There was no need for early Americans to have a conscience about such cruelty, either. After all, the Indians were not people-- they were heathens and animals. They were "the Indian problem," one best dealt with by shooting them on sight. "This statement, 'No state can achieve proper culture, civilization, and progress ... as long as Indians are permitted to remain,' although articulated by U.S. President Martin Van Buren in 1837, lays bare the predominate White supremacist genocidal mentality that the Indigenous Peoples of the Americas have had to contend with since Columbus landed in 1492." (http://www.danielnpaul.com/AmericanIndiansGenocide.html)
"They sell a LOT of tin foil in your town, don't they?"
Bix
Stunt Pilot

Return to American Politics