Welcome
Welcome to the Official Dwight Schultz Fansite Forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, respond to, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please,join our community today!

Howling Mad World Review! show 1.

Howling Mad World Review! show 1.

Postby Choppercrazy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:49 pm

you can comment on his first podcast in this topic.
Choppercrazy
Playground Crew

Re: Howling Mad World Review! show 1.

Postby wildstar » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:15 pm

He's back!!!! Woohooo!

What a fantastic first podcast! I have enjoyed every second of it :D

Oh this brings back so many good memories...Howling Mad Radio...what a great show :-D

Thank you so much for all the time and effort y'all are putting into this. It is much appreciated!

:clap:
wildstar
Fixed Wing Pilot

Postby Thatkliqkid » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:33 pm

I wasn't around for Howling Mad radio so my knowledge of that comes from snippets and clips.
This was brilliant, although fake sicking grosses me out :lol:
Awesome stuff thank you.
“Be modest in your self-esteem, and value yourself at your proper worth. Who can justify a man who runs himself down, or respect a man who despises himself?” - Ecclesiasticus 10:28-29
Thatkliqkid
Kamikaze Pilot

Postby tavriany1 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:49 pm

Great! Thank you! Wonderful podcast! I love it! Please, just don't stop! Go on doing this!
tavriany1
Basic Airman

Postby Milena » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:53 pm

Great podcast! I have very appreciated it. Thank you very much.
Milena
Stunt Pilot

Postby Bix » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:19 am

Ah, the poor, belated astronaut Neil... Young? :huh: http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... 2365.story

Look at it this way: Neil is now the Abe Vigoda (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abe_Vigoda ... _his_death) of the music world!

And at least Dwight remembered to leave the "l" in when he repeatedly said, "flock followers." :P It's always a good start when you can circumvent profanity.
"They sell a LOT of tin foil in your town, don't they?"
Bix
Stunt Pilot

Postby KaizokuShojo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:55 am

Wow! I was so excited to see that this was up! :D Super thanks to Dwight for taking the time to do it; it was grand. I'm very eagerly looking forward to any future ones. :D

I hadn't heard about the Honduras thing, but I'm usually about half out of the loop on everything. Half being out of it meaning...I hear some things and not others, read some things and not others, mostly due to a lack of good ways to stay informed. The only good source I have is talk radio when I get the chance, with very occasional usage of the internet. 46 kbps will not load most news websites anymore. :[

I'm hoping that maybe I can get some people to listen to these. (Lots of people remember "that crazy pilot from the A-Team" whenever I mention Dwight. Lots talk about how they loved that show. They might be interested enough to actually listen. XD) I don't think people around me--though many grasp the edges of how dangerous Obama and the 'progressives' are--really get the exact situation. Many, too, are just so flooded with media lies that without realising it, they've begun taking on liberal--I mean, progressive--beliefs.

Technically even if the crazies win out and ruin civilisation as we currently know it, I believe that after some time, good will prevail again. Humanity's history is littered with sicko knotheads and deadly political regimes. BUT...that doesn't mean we shouldn't do everything that is in our rational power to try to make things right now and not decades or centuries down the road. The election is coming. We can just sit on our haunches and let people say YES to a man that supports mass-murderering, violent, lying dictators (as well as lying himself and other underhanded things). Or, we can go out and at least attempt to open a few people's eyes. We can but TRY to warn the people of the fire that lay just on the other side of the hill. They're ignoring the smell of the smoke, they're ignoring the cracking and popping of the burning trees, and as the flames grow more and more obvious, they're even ignoring the heat (maybe it's global warming!). But...well, with more convincing, maybe some people will listen. If not, a price will be paid. It may be that it will eventually rise to something like WWII, where certain political situations were ignored and ignored, with millions dying......but if we're out of the game with less weapons, and WE'RE among those in trouble........who is going to step in for us? Especially after Obama's been so offensive to our allies and buddy-buddy with the ones wanting to cut off our heads.

Dwight is so entertaining as he speaks that even those that might find talk radio dull (personally I don't know how that happens...) will listen.

Well, it's almost one o'clock...nearly time for the next SPC forecast... I guess I'll tinker around 'til then, load it, and go to bed. I only work about four hours to-morrow ( :huh: ) so maybe I'll accomplish something!
~This ramble's been brought to you by a yet again very sleepy, but very pleased-from-the-podcast Kai.

(As a side note: love the voices, as always, and that was the best near vomiting sound I've ever heard. The last time I tried to practice such after being taught the proper way, I nearly actually threw up... :lol: )
"Doctor! My capillaries are shrinking!"
Image POKEMON TRAINER MURDOCK wants to battle!
KaizokuShojo
Chopper Pilot

Postby Bix » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:09 am

Hey, *I* find radio to be dull... but that's because there are so few people who know how to do it right, and on a consistent basis.

It's one thing for a radio personality to have a good show every now and then--heck, even Danny Bonaduce has had his moments on-air (oh, but don't get me started on that subject. :roll: ). However, it's damned difficult to find an announcer or a team of announcers capable of balancing entertainment with accurate information when they do a show day in and day out. That's where the true talent for radio emerges--those in it for the long haul.

I do imagine that it's easier for DJs than talk radio hosts, though. I've been emailing back and forth with a BBC DJ in London (BBC2) since 2001, and he's one of the few that has "it." And he's a nice guy, to boot. But he's got the flexibility to break up his broadcast with audience-participation tweets and emails on various subjects, news and weather reports, songs, etc. Talk show hosts? Not so much.
Bix
Stunt Pilot

Postby DrJen » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:27 pm

PJTV sent their own reporter to Honduras during the crisis and had great coverage. Many of the videos are available online at Honduras / Political - National Crisis. Just start from the earliest time and move forward to get a sense of what happened there and the U.S. government's response.

As a talk radio fan, I was absolutely delighted with the first Howling Mad World Review show. The intro was grand. It's hard to wait for the next installment.
DrJen
Playground Crew

Postby KaizokuShojo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:46 pm

Yeah, but that's the problem...with such slow internet, I can hardly load videos. XD Normally I have to use a clip/audio ripper (usually NetVideoHunter or DownloadHelper) to see something, since that randomly works better than just loading them to view. Example...it usually takes me a couple of days to download the Glazov Gang when Dwight's on it (I'd watch all of them, even the ones he's not on, but...there's no time for that). It takes even more if I download it in HD.
I'll give it a shot, though.

As for talk radio, there's naturally more to it than just the entertainment factor. It's like reading an average article about science. It's not a super-in-depth discourse on the exacts, but it gives lots of details to educate, and that's what you're reading it for. And like such, there are the more entertaining ones, and the less entertaining ones... I've heard both in the field of talk radio. Some people take an approach like Dwight, adding voices and SFX (which I adore, being a nerd for such) and some people take the cut-and-dry approach, which I can also appreciate completely. They're not necessarily in it to entertain; entertainment can be included, but as a bonus, not the focus. So to enjoy being informed on anything, you have to be very interested in the subject, I guess? I can read most scientific articles with pleasure, but anything on, say, home decor would be a horrible bore. (No poetry intended. XDD)
KaizokuShojo
Chopper Pilot

Postby Bix » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:14 am

Yes, but the problem is if you rely on a limited amount of talk radio (or any news medium) for accuracy, sticking with one or two of your favorites, then you need to realize that you can and might be being deceived by them on occasion. Like I've said before, I like to go through a variety of sources for a story, because each one of them has a nugget of information that wasn't in the other one and each news source tends to put their own spin on things. Or they get it wrong and you need the other news sources to provide the right information--the most recent example here on the thread being the Neil Armstrong vs Neil Young confusion.

If I didn't know any better and I relied strictly on Rush Limbaugh, I'd have thought that you need to take a birth control pill each time you have ***... and despite that recent upheaval in the news, there ARE people that still believe that! I was talking to a guy here at our Post (die-hard Republican, just for the record), and he honestly had no idea that it's a day-a-pill device taken for years on end, and that oral contraception can take three to four months to become effective. And even then, it's not 100%--it can still result in as many as ten pregnancies out of every 100 women that take it due to human error or interactions with other medicines, like antibiotics. Also, this guy didn't know that there are medical reasons to take it, at which point I had to explain my PMDD, the anxiety/stress and the hospitalizations that my condition has resulted in, etc. and further explain the other conditions that women are beset with (http://news.health.ufl.edu/2012/18504/m ... raception/).

Even then in the face of medical facts, he looked at me with skepticism... because these facts didn't come from the mouth of Rush, just from some random woman off the street. (And, yes, I'm still pissed off that for some twisted reason, morons think that the birth control = promiscuity and therefore you're a **** by default, even if (like me) you've never had ***. Ignorance at its finest, I swear. :? )

That's the danger in relying on certain sources of information, too. A person on television or on the radio gives an air of legitimacy to things that they might not know diddly-squat about, but people believe them just because they're "on the air." Therefore, there's no reason to question or double-check what they're saying! What's great is that now, we have the world at our fingertips thanks to the internet. It used to be that you had newspapers delivering you the news (or their version of it) and THAT was your information, that was your reality, and that was the "truth" they were telling you. Because, of course, if it was a lie, why would they go through the trouble of writing and printing it, right? :roll:

And therein lies the challenge--you need that comparison/contrast factor and you need to listen to both sides of an argument. The more sources that you have speaking into your ear, the more aware you're going to be about who is "spinning" their story the strongest. And who is out to twist public consciousness in the process. When MSNBC posted a story about Rebecca Black and showed a diagram of her exposed brain (63% of her exposed brain asks, “Which seat can I take?” while 25% rambles, “Fun, fun, think about fun!”, 3% percent points out “Yesterday was Thursday,” another 3% notices that “Tomorrow is Saturday” and another 3% tells her, “Sunday comes afterwards."), oh, I went off (http://standupjokeoff.newsvine.com/_new ... -continues). And that, too, still rankles--that was a very public attempt to manipulate hate towards a child.

Now, listening to Dwight Schultz do his program is educational and informative, but it's only ONE step in learning about the issues that he brings up. He quotes people and adds on his own view to those quotes, and it's important to learn who those people are, what sources he's quoting from, what context that quote was taken in, and how it applies to the conversation at hand and the topic in general... or doesn't. More knowledge is essential to making that decision. We can't rely on every single word he says as gospel. For a very minor example, in Novi, he said that Red Ryder and his horse stepped out of the book at the beginning of the episode, but it seems it was Red Ryder and Little Beaver who did, and the horse came later-- http://fantrans.blogspot.com/ ). Does that tidbit of data matter? Not at all, but it's an example of general human fallibility--just another reminder not to take everything as solid fact when you consume it.

On the "authority" level, someone could try to discredit Dwight's qualifications for speaking to an audience by saying, "Oh, but he's 'just' an actor who does cartoon voices, right?"...but if you know anything about the man, you know that he's had a lifelong interest in conservative politics and is a walking computer of information on a variety of subjects. Personally, I'd put his years of layman's education up against some four-year political science student in a heartbeat. That was the same kind of public skepticism that met Reagan, who the opposition tried to dismiss as "just an actor"... then he became a governor... then President...

Oh, I AM going on today, ain't I? :wink:
Bix
Stunt Pilot

Postby Choppercrazy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:59 am

One of the reasons Dwight always encourages people to read as much news from different sources as possible is so they can inform themselves. That's what he ususally advices, read as much as you can. During his HMR days he always adviced and recommended people to listen/read, watch both liberal and conservative media. To read the entire article/book that he quoted from. He always gave the websites url where people could find the entire article, about a person and/or advice them to read the entire book. Of course it is always up to the listener to inform her or himself to learn more about who certain people are, who he is referring to if they don't know. Most people who are interested in a particular topic usually do know who he is talking about and people who don't know yet can easily inform themselves and learn more about the subject and persons along the way. That's one of the reasons HMR and now the new podcasts are made, to inform people and encourage people to infrom themselves better. Dwight is trying to interest them and handing them the tools how to inform themselves.
Choppercrazy
Playground Crew

Postby KaizokuShojo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:23 am

[quote="Bix"]Yes, but the problem is if you rely on a limited amount of talk radio (or any news medium) for accuracy, sticking with one or two of your favorites, then you need to realize that you can and might be being deceived by them on occasion.

I never stick to just one program, network, or...anything, for my news. Or for my information on most any thing, for that matter. XD My main limit to being informed as completely as I'd like to be is inconvenience in my life-schedule, and slow internet connection...and maybe my inability to drive...and lack of a good library nearby....

[quote="Bix"]If I didn't know any better and I relied strictly on Rush Limbaugh, I'd have thought that you need to take a birth control pill each time you have ***... and despite that recent upheaval in the news, there ARE people that still believe that!

Like I said.....ignorance is the main state of affairs, scientifically speaking. I had to argue with two people (among them, my mother) who were convinced that a full moon made kids crazy. As for the guy you had the discussion with, I don't find that very surprising... I mean, I wouldn't really expect a man to know very much about The Pill, just as I wouldn't expect him to know what brand of feminine hygiene pad worked the best, or what type was good for what situation. Now, while it's true that for contraceptive reasons a man should have some knowledge on the subject, most of them are probably content to know that their girlfriend/wife is on it, and not look into the details or mechanism. Again, it's that scientific-ignorance-is-bliss syndrome.

[quote="Bix"](And, yes, I'm still pissed off that for some twisted reason, morons think that the birth control = promiscuity and therefore you're a **** by default, even if (like me) you've never had ***. Ignorance at its finest, I swear. :? )

Most people aren't aware that the B-vitamins in their energy drinks don't give them energy. Most people don't know that most sleeping medicine is just Benadryl. Most people don't know that a key ingredient in some of their medicines is caffeine. To the average public, the birth control pill is just that--for birth control--and to people who have no use for it, or users who haven't looked into its other uses (such as a sleep aid being a second use for benadryl) contraception is the first thing that comes to mind. Why this would automatically equal promiscuity, I don't know--although I think if an average person sees a very YOUNG person on birth control, that's likely to be the first thing that came to their mind. But I see that as more of a byproduct of thinking young people have way too much *** (it seems like everyone around me when I was in high school was getting pregnant, and as I see the ages of their kids around me now, I know.....I was right.)

[quote="Bix"]That's the danger in relying on certain sources of information, too. A person on television or on the radio gives an air of legitimacy to things that they might not know diddly-squat about, but people believe them just because they're "on the air." Therefore, there's no reason to question or double-check what they're saying!

Completely true. It happens on almost a daily basis. Actually, it probably does happen on a daily basis.

[quote="Bix"]When MSNBC posted a story about Rebecca Black and showed a diagram of her exposed brain (63% of her exposed brain asks, “Which seat can I take?” while 25% rambles, “Fun, fun, think about fun!”, 3% percent points out “Yesterday was Thursday,” another 3% notices that “Tomorrow is Saturday” and another 3% tells her, “Sunday comes afterwards."), oh, I went off

That diagram picture on MSNBC was from KnowYourMeme, and was an example of the memes out there about her now. The article itself wasn't so negative, but they probably picked one of the worse memes to give as an example. But that whole fiasco was a horrible thing, it's true. (I mean, even if the song is disliked--I've never heard it, I wouldn't know--MOST of the world can agree that they weren't so great at much of anything at the age of 13, if they actually think about it. Bullying is nothing but seeing yourself as better than you really are... Without, you see that everyone has problems, including yourself, and no one deserves to be berated.)

[quote="Bix"]but it's only ONE step in learning about the issues that he brings up. He quotes people and adds on his own view to those quotes, and it's important to learn who those people are, what sources he's quoting from, what context that quote was taken in, and how it applies to the conversation at hand and the topic in general... or doesn't. More knowledge is essential to making that decision.

Natch. But that one step can be important. If you don't take a first step, you can't get to a second or third step. He's offering opinions and data that conflicts greatly to what most people hear--an opposing opinion, differing data. (Alliteration! Zomygush, where did that come from...) Which, if you have a brain, that usually makes you go, "Hmm....okay, let's look into this some..." Problem is, a lot of people aren't...well, they aren't willing to be more than machines that go through life on the bare minimum.

[quote="Bix"]On the "authority" level, someone could try to discredit Dwight's qualifications for speaking to an audience by saying, "Oh, but he's 'just' an actor who does cartoon voices, right?"...but if you know anything about the man, you know that he's had a lifelong interest in conservative politics and is a walking computer of information on a variety of subjects. Personally, I'd put his years of layman's education up against some four-year political science student in a heartbeat.
I completely agree.
KaizokuShojo
Chopper Pilot

Postby Bix » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:24 am

Don't want to harp on it here as I have elsewhere, but just a quick note: anyone, male or female, that wants to discuss birth control, women's products and women's bodies in a public forum (Rush Limbaugh), and to subsequently try to pass laws / bills on issues related to women (Akin-Ryan) had BETTER know the finer points of what they're talking about! :evil:
Bix
Stunt Pilot

Postby DrJen » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:20 pm

KaizokuShojo wrote:Yeah, but that's the problem...with such slow internet, I can hardly load videos.[...]

I see that I implied only videos existed on that html link to the archived Honduran crisis page. That is incorrect. Once you load the main page Honduras / Political - National Crisis you can choose which reports you want to see. The ones without the little "play" icon are simply text. Text articles are listed beneath the video links if both types of reports are avalable for a single date. Plain text coverage is found on July 4 (two articles), July 5, July 7, July 9 (2nd link), July 12, etc. If you cannot reach the text pages and want to read those articles, let me know and I will try to find them in the standard Internet archives.
DrJen
Playground Crew

Return to American Politics