Welcome
Welcome to the Official Dwight Schultz Fansite Forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, respond to, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please,join our community today!

Howling Mad World Review Rant 2 (show 23)

Howling Mad World Review Rant 2 (show 23)

Postby Choppercrazy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:24 am

Please post your reaction to this podcast here.
Choppercrazy
Playground Crew

Re: Howling Mad World Review Rant 2 (show 23)

Postby Bix » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:54 pm

"Please if you are not interested in listening to an actor rant about political matters or social justice matters please leave because you will just be upset and I don't want to upset you. This is about what is going on in the USA right now. - Dwight"

This was a very good and considerate message for him to leave. It shows that, while he has strong opinions, he is still concerned about the sensitivities of his audience.

My belief is that the current issues we're seeing DOES stem from that one basic human element: lack of respect. It is a disrespect that is occurring on both sides, between police and civilians, and also within the police departments and the communities themselves. Without respect, you don't have communication. Instead, you have perpetual suspicion and misunderstanding, which leads to anger, which leads to what we're seeing in people's reactions... or overreactions, in some cases. (Incidentally, I find it absurd that officers are now almost expected by society to let suspects fire any weapons they may have, let them "prove" their intent with the first shot(s), rather than shooting first for the protection of themselves, their partners and bystanders.)

The "hands up/don't shoot" mantra that has been adopted might've been Michael Brown's first reaction upon seeing the gun drawn on him, but there is evidence that Brown then went after the officer after he said that. Surprising, after walking into a store and stealing, shoving the proprietor, then walking down the middle of the street? Not at all. He was in a violent mood. Whatever "gentle giant" he might have been otherwise, at that particular time and place, he was anti-establishment and he was acting in ways that were endangering his life and the lives of others.

So for BLM to copy that "hands up/don't shoot" bit is not only perpetuating a falsehood, but it is emulating a moment of giving up that is then followed seconds later by an attack. Now, the gunman in Dallas followed that example to a "t"--the peaceful protest going on was that calm-before-the-storm, which he then used as cover, if you will, to unleash his attack. And while BLM might not WANT that kind of association, that's exactly what they got. Because this almost subliminal message being transmitted by "hands up/don't shoot" is something that people aren't registering but are recognizing on a gut level.

I respectfully disagree with Dwight's insistence about putting this on President Obama, however. The civil rights movements and the violence in the 1960s and 1970s were no more the fault of the Presidents than the events of today can be blamed on Obama. The incidents during that time period had nothing to do with President Kennedy, President Johnson or President Nixon, but were instead actions carried out by the police force, by governors, by mayors--and, yes, even by the people themselves who would react violently (i.e. Black Panthers). We need only look at Kent State to see the culmination of this level of misunderstanding; protesters throwing rocks were taken down by bullets, and not even the ones who were necessarily committing the violence.

It comes down to the people on the streets, the officers and civilians, who are each reacting in ways that do not detract from violence but instead encourage it. The recent suspension of two officers from the Memphis Police Department (for showing a gun pointing at a Snapchat emoji of a black man running) is every bit as unnecessary and inherently dangerous as a civilian making irresponsible and unnecessary "kill all pigs" postings on Facebook.

These are OUR streets, OUR people, OUR worlds that are being affected by our own actions. We have only to look to ourselves, at our own level, to see the problems.
"They sell a LOT of tin foil in your town, don't they?"
Bix
Stunt Pilot

Postby flygrl513 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:35 pm

Although we don't know the particulars of the events, our politicians have already made ludicrous statements that allude to an "epidemic" of racism across law enforcement, which is purely absurd and NOT supported by the REAL crime statistics (as opposed to the BS Obama is spouting). Our law enforcement officers put themselves on the line every day for our protection and they do NOT deserve the treatment they've been getting from this band of ignorant masses brought together by our illustrious President Obama, the most divisive and manipulative commander in chief this country has ever seen...

I think the important thing to remember is that these people do NOT represent an entire race. We never see anything in the news about the upstanding black citizens who go to work everyday and obey the law and realize all of this is getting out of control. It's not fair to lose sight of that. This is not about skin color... it's about politicians and the media using their power to brainwash their two main demographics: (1) people who are poor, uneducated, dependent on the government and desperate for attention... and (2) the millenials who just want to be the special little snowflakes they were brought up to believe they are. This is the democrat base and they have been manipulated for many years - but no one does it better than Obama.

We need to push past the race-baiting, and religion-baiting, and everything else they have used to divide and conquer us. We need to stand together as citizens and say enough is enough, and we need to do it at the ballot box in November.
flygrl513
Navigator

Postby Nance » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:43 am

I'm sorry but no. I have to admit that I haven't been in the mood yet to listen to the rant, but I generally don't like the finger pointing some of you republicans seem to be doing. You are living in a country where there is democracy. You CHOSE Obama as a people. You don't live in a country such as Russia or China where you can be faulted for even thinking, by the government. You can oppose the president and his ideas, but you can't hide behind him and point your finger at him at the same time. You are not following orders. You as the American people choose to raise your children in the way that you do. You can argue that Obama changed the school system, but that doesn't mean you can't teach your beliefs at home. You have to change first and then the government will change with you because you choose them. You don't live in a dictatorial society!

As for law enforcement. It's absurd that they are treated this way. This is exactly what the media have been doing. Exaggerating only the instances where they can make money by selling their 'news' papers. You never hear about the Muslims and Black Americans that do their jobs and rear their children right.

I have two daughters and I realize that I'm not raising children, but future adults! I try to teach them to become balanced adults and I hope to succeed. I also must state that I'm upper social economic class, so I don't have any experience on the lowest rung of the ladder. Also as a European I don't believe in the American Dream. It is possible for a very select group of people to get somewhere in life, but most of them will stay in the dumps and so will their offspring. Either you start social education and better living conditions, like they did in the UK (new estates were built to house the London workers in the beginning of the 20th century) or you leave them to their own devices. But then don't whine when they choose the same presidents over and over again.

Our society is crumbling. It's imploding because of the citizens themselves. We are LETTING it happen.
I'm not insane, I'm psychologically challenged!
Nance
Navigator

Postby Bix » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:14 am

To be fair, it's not just "some of you Republicans" but also "some of you Democrats" and "some of you Independent voters." Political party or not, there is and has always been finger-pointing. Representatives are voted in, in the mistaken belief that they will actually "represent" the voters, but that almost never happens (look into the recent scandal over "call centers" in Washington, where lobbyists control the voting). In the grand scheme of things, the Presidents of the United States aren't the ones who have set most of the laws that we live by. That comes along the lines of local and state governments, then the House and Senate, then the Supreme Court. And, again, the lobbyists. "We the People..." is, indeed, what the United States government is, but it's something that we've refused to take responsibility for.

This might be a bit of an odd analogy, but I think back to the 1970s when the "Keep America Beautiful" program began. KAB was started as a non-profit and was not a government edict or recommendation. It put the power and responsibility fully on the citizens of the country. "Clean up your own neighborhood." A simple, straightforward message that told people. "like the song says, 'this land is your land/this land is my land' and so it's on YOU, America! Step up to the plate!"

Well, in the social sense, it's also time for us to step up to the plate and "clean up" the way we act towards one another.
Bix
Stunt Pilot

Postby flygrl513 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:58 pm

Nance wrote: You CHOSE Obama as a people. You don't live in a country such as Russia or China where you can be faulted for even thinking, by the government.

I didn't choose Obama. And you're right, fortunately we live in a country in which we have the right to free speech, and the right to question and to voice our objections to the assertions and actions of our leaders. That is what I am doing.

I believe we do have a responsibility as citizens to live harmoniously with our fellow citizens and try to maintain peace and understanding where possible, to take accountability for our actions and to work towards our common goals. That said, it's those who expect special treatment, do not hold themselves accountable for their actions and refuse to try and work within the system who are the problem. These are the people who draw weapons and shoot at law enforcement officers, who bite and spit on them and "protesters" like we saw yesterday who felt they had just cause to drop a cinderblock on an officer's head. Now we have a "new black panthers" group forming whose main purpose is to harm white people, plain and simple. Their suggestion is to do away with law enforcement altogether and let the neighborhoods police themselves. I cannot imagine the state of cities like Detroit and Chicago (both Democrat-run cities) after about a month of that. As we've heard before, you can't coexist with people who want to kill you. Thus we need to make fundamental changes in our government, and that is what I'm promoting.

Thank goodness we still have free speech, to some extent, in this country.
flygrl513
Navigator

Postby flygrl513 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:05 pm

Speaking of the voices of government seeping into our school systems... Have you seen this? Apparently "white guilt" classes are a thing now in our elementary schools:

http://nypost.com/2016/07/01/elite-k-8- ... rn-racist/
flygrl513
Navigator

Postby Bix » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:43 pm

Society has always had its anarchists, but the difference is that in the past, the blame for their actions was rightfully put on them. The ones who did the inappropriate-to-evil deeds were solely responsible for inciting a riot or encouraging others towards those same actions. The blame and the punishment went to the people who, of their own accord, took it upon themselves to cause chaos and distress.

Now, for some reason, society insists on blaming the leaders and lawmakers when people step out of line. Maybe it's tied to the failed "trickle-down economy" thinking, where those at the top are the ones who feed those on the bottom. Maybe it's just the stubborn insistence that Those In Charge should be responsible FOR us. We are living in a confusing time where, on one hand, we rally against the "nanny state" yet then turn around insist on micromanagement of our affairs ("no gay marriage!"). So we look to the leaders to alternately control us but, at the same time, to take over the responsibilities that used to be ours.

Again, it comes down to us, as a people, failing to take responsibility for what we can and for acting on our own behalves.
Bix
Stunt Pilot

Postby flygrl513 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:14 pm

Bix - I can understand your point that there seems to always be an outcry against government these days, for every terrible event that happens. And in some cases, it's true that it's just happened because there are truly reprehensible people out there. The thing is, I really, honestly believe government and the media are *mostly* responsible for the BLM chaos. You have to admit that the President has focused squarely on one side of this argument, as have most of the Democrat governors, senators and the like. (I was just watching the Loretta Lynch congressional hearings, and the Dems who were supposed to be questioning her about the Clinton decision, instead spent the entire time discussing gun control and the new "policing reform" bill being introduced after the "devastating" events in Minnesota and Baton Rouge. How this relates to Hillary's e-mail server, I don't know... But they sure got their sound bites heard!) Obama doesn't even give the other side a chance to tell their story before crying "police brutality!" or "gun control!" The people responsible for the violent acts should be held criminally accountable, of course -- but in this day and age where everyone gets ALL their information about what's going on in the world from TV, social media and that's predominantly made up of sound bites and videos of politicians, and all they talk about is how oppressive the police are against the black community - which in 99% of cases is simply not true! - we have to hold them accountable, at the very least, for their irresponsibility in failing to do their duties as public servants; putting lives at risk in pursuit of their own agendas. As far as I'm concerned those violent acts were aided and abetted by the people who are supposed to have society's best interests at heart. And these are educated, informed people who should know better... I'd feel the same whether we were talking about Mark Dayton or Joe Walsh...
flygrl513
Navigator

Postby Nance » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:22 pm

Yes government and media work together or rather they feed of each other. You can't however just say Obama is willfully destroying American culture. Americans have chosen their rulers and thus they are a reflection of American culture. You can oppose his views as is your right. But you can't point a finger and say HE did it. Every ruler will defend his/her own truth.

We have a system of police and neighbourhood watches that work together. That's a viable option too. Not just police OR neighbourhood policing.
Nance
Navigator

Postby Bix » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:53 pm

And yet, with the Zimmerman incident, we see what happens when neighborhood watch steps up into police action. Police advised Zimmerman to hang back and wait for officers. Zimmerman got too close to Martin. Martin either defended himself (here's some strange guy following him through an unfamiliar neighborhood in the dark) or he willfully attacked him--we'll never know the truth as to who said/did what, really. And Zimmerman (armed when, as neighborhood watch, he should not have been per watch policies) shot him. So the "working together" aspect between a neighborhood watch and police only works so far as people are willing to let it, and police are willing to respond in a timely manner.
Bix
Stunt Pilot

Postby Nance » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:45 pm

In the Netherlands we have strict gun laws. So the chance that one of us are on the street with a gun is really low.
I'm an active member of our neighbourhood watch and although I'm an archer I'm not going to shoot at possible suspects. Our goal is to be visible, keep an eye on each other and make sure to remind people to lock their doors etc.
Nance
Navigator

Postby Bix » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:28 pm

Quite right. That is the purpose of neighborhood watch: to WATCH and report. Zimmerman did that and did report to the police, but then he continued to follow "his" suspect, which was overstepping his bounds. (But again, allegations are that the police in that area weren't as responsive to the community's complaints as they should have been... betcha they are now!) Neighborhood watch individuals need to be responsible for their own safety as well as that of their neighborhood, but through passive involvement only. In the event that someone is destroying property or breaking in to a house, it's still just "stuff"; unless you see a person in danger and feel obligated to act for that reason, it's overstepping your bounds to get involved further.

But to backtrack a bit to Dwight's statements, the fact that more whites are shot by police than blacks is a defective fact: As data scientists and policing experts often note, comparing how many or how often white people are killed by police to how many or how often black people are killed by the police is statistically dubious unless you first adjust for population. According to the most recent census data, there are nearly 160 million more white people in America than there are black people. White people make up roughly 62 percent of the U.S. population but only about 49 percent of those who are killed by police officers. African Americans, however, account for 24 percent of those fatally shot and killed by the police despite being just 13 percent of the U.S. population. As The Post noted in a new analysis published last week, that means black Americans are 2.5 times as likely as white Americans to be shot and killed by police officers. - Washington Post
Bix
Stunt Pilot

Postby Texasdnow » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:35 pm

Wow! I have always admired your work and just came across your website. Thank you! Thank you for saying out loud what needed to be said! Thank you for having the courage to speak your mind and not be afraid to be condemned by the "color card"! I live in Dallas and I am so SICK of everyone tiptoeing around and not speaking their minds just in case they are called racist. Is it just me, or is it RACIST to scream any time a black person is killed? As you said yourself, the black deaths by police officers accounts for barely a quarter of all the police related killings in 2015. Should I, as a white person jump up and scream racism every time a white person is killed by a black cop? Are we keeping a scorecard for that?
Okay, sorry, guess rants are contagious lol! You are my hero Dwight! Thank you for being you!
D
Texasdnow
Basic Airman

Postby flygrl513 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:44 pm

You also have to take into account violent crime rates. In 2012, the actual white-only population was 63%, whereas whites including Hispanics is 78%. However, the census data opts to include Hispanics with whites so the numbers are just "blacks" (13% of the population) versus "whites".

Just looking at some of the DOJ statistics: Black people committed approximately 50% of the homicides in the United States between 1980 and 2008. That said, the homicide situation is starting to even out... In 2013, black criminals committed 38% of the murders (whites, including hispanics, accounted for 31%), and the rate of armed robberies was about 20% higher for blacks than whites. And remember, if you normalize the data based on "whites" comprising 78% of the population, blacks are committing violent crimes at an astonishingly higher rate. I doubt we would find that prominently reported in the Washington Post.
flygrl513
Navigator

Next

Return to American Politics