Welcome
Welcome to the Official Dwight Schultz Fansite Forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, respond to, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please,join our community today!

Chronic Pain

Chronic Pain

Postby dwightforum » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:26 pm

Dwight's second blog post is here, you can discus it below.
dwightforum
Site Admin

Re: Chronic Pain

Postby MizHowlinMad » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:53 pm

Bless you, Dwight, for writing on what can only be described as a very personal topic.

This is what I consider a quietly answered prayer, and proof that God works in mysterious ways. I, too, have painful arthritis in my knees and back and I am half Dwight's age. I know it's only going to get worse as I age and my treatment options are limited due to money. So, this is an option I will certainly try and explore. Maybe it won't work for me the way it has for him, but it's one more thing to try. I just have to keep exercising regularly, eating well, and taking glucosamine like I have been.

And I'm glad to hear that this treatment has made a positive difference in his life. :D
"I love the smell of revolution in the mornin'! It smells like hushpuppies!"
MizHowlinMad
Fixed Wing Pilot

Postby wildstar » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:59 pm

Thanks for the tip, Dwight.

I'm going to look into that to see if it is also available in Germany. My father has the same problems with his knees and it would be great if the meds were available here so he could get some pain relief.
wildstar
Fixed Wing Pilot

Postby Ellen » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Yes, this is something I am definitely going to look into for my Mum. It all depends on whether she can take it with all her other medication, but every avenue is worth exploring.

MizHowlinMad wrote:I just have to keep exercising regularly, eating well, and taking glucosamine like I have been.

How are you getting on with the glucosamine? My Mum couldn't take that, but her friend said it's wonderful for her. Another friend is thinking of taking it too, so its good to hear what helps. I will definitely suggest the Boswellia Extract to them all too.
"Don't be so cocky, I could have crashed this plane with or without you on board"
Ellen
Playground Crew

Postby Bix » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:22 pm

Like Dwight, I, too, have degenerative arthritis. My family has a history of osteoarthritis, and I've already begun to show signs of nodes and other swelling/distortion on my fingers; admittedly, because I make my living off typing, this is something that makes me nervous. And ever since an accident in the Navy, my right shoulder has had only half of its original flexibility to it; it's one of those "oh, it's going to rain" joints now.

My arthritis is primarily in my neck (C2, and possibly C3, which probably came about from repeated incidents of whiplash), my thoracic vertebrae (two or three Ts, from carrying too-big breasts around for too many years), and there's an occlusion in my right knee (never mind that the left one has a kneecap/tendon issue). Even though I've had two breast reduction surgeries (1995 and 2011), the weight of what I have to carry around still causes pain between my shoulder blades.

I'm not yet encumbered by the pain to the point where I'm taking anything stronger than Excedrin Back & Body in emergency situations (though I did take glucosamine chondritin for a while and was relieved of the cracking in my knees when I went upstairs). I think part of the reason is because I'm trying to avoid extracts and medications and so on, because I know that I'll be on them for the rest of my life. Kind of the same reason that--even though the VA told me I should wear them--I try to stay out of my ankle braces as much as possible. (Long story short, I'm hypermobile and tend to sprain/dislocate my ankles frequently. Which also led me to falling and getting whiplash on several occasions.)

Until these things really begin to inhibit me in my activities, which admittedly are few these days, I'm just soldiering on. But it is good to know that there is relief out there!
"They sell a LOT of tin foil in your town, don't they?"
Bix
Stunt Pilot

Postby wildstar » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:28 pm

Looks like the capsules aren't available in Germany but I did find an ointment that contains the boswellia extract so I'm going to order it.

Oh! Just kept googling while typing this post and I just found Boswellia pills - 400mg, available in Germany. ...But I think I'll order the ointment first to see if it helps any.
wildstar
Fixed Wing Pilot

Postby Thatkliqkid » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:15 pm

Aww I'm sorry Dwight and so many of you guys have to suffer daily pain like that. I hope it works and eases the pain.
“Be modest in your self-esteem, and value yourself at your proper worth. Who can justify a man who runs himself down, or respect a man who despises himself?” - Ecclesiasticus 10:28-29
Thatkliqkid
Kamikaze Pilot

Postby Sandilynn » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:26 pm

This breaks my heart to hear of this. Thank God for your wonderful wife and her diligence in finding something that works better and hopefully with fewer or no side effects. Continuing to keep you and your loved ones in prayer.

I have no chronic pain experiences to relate. I do have the beginnings of arthritis in my right ankle from a triple break a few years ago that required pins, screws and plates. It does get stiff and isn't as flexible as it could be at times. I guess God's blessed me in that I only occasionally have some light pain in it.

I'll be praying for you, Bix. There seems to be so many things going on in your life that causes so much pain. And I'll remember you, Miz, in prayer, too.
You're the best figment my imagination ever had.
Sandilynn
Stunt Pilot

Postby DrJen » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:28 pm

I think I found the type of thing that Dwight is talking about with a small spelling change. It was called 5-LOX Inhibitor with AprèsFlex™. This particular supplement is sold in (vegetarian) capsule form with a price that should be affordable for most people to try for a month. I will be passing this information along to at least one relative.
DrJen
Playground Crew

Postby writer525 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:44 pm

I am sorry to hear about all of you with arthritis pain and symptoms, including Dwight. I hope what he has mentioned will work for you. However, I also have to throw something out there. I was in a car accident where I was rear-ended. Because I was holding the brake so tightly to keep from hitting the car in front of me, the impact was felt in my knee and hip. I was having a lot of pain in that knee and thought I might have to have surgery. Then I read Dirk's book Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy and decided to start macrobiotics. The reduction of sugar, dairy and meat in my diet has practically cured me of any pain, and a weight loss of over 30 pounds helped too. He says, all conditions that end in "itis", arthri"tis", etc. are made worse by eating sugars. So the reduction and practically elimination of sugar in my diet, except for natural sugar found in fruits and vegetables, has made me pretty much pain free. I know it isn't for everyone, but I used to wake up in pain, swollen fingers and hands, and now nothing. I get up with more energy and no problems with joints. It has been a miracle cure for me!!
"That guy is as crazy as a Mexican rabbit, but I love him!
writer525
Chopper Pilot

Highscores: 7

Postby Milena » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:23 pm

I too have arthritis in my spine and neck. It's very painful, not to mention the dizziness when I move my head a bit faster and tingling in my fingers.
Drugs anti-inflammatory (I have tried various types) cause problems to my stomach, because I also suffer from gastritis (I'm practically a wreck of forty years).
I tried massage, acupuncture ... results: zero.
Now I'm going to look into to see if the Boswellia extract is also available in Italy.
Thank you, Dwight, for writing on a very personal topic and for the advice.
Milena
Stunt Pilot

Postby flychica » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:36 pm

Thanks to Dwight for sharing. Interestingly enough it mentioned asthma, too. That's something I will have to explore further. My mom, I know, will appreciate the information.

I think that whatever helps is great and should not be discounted, and I hope it can bring relief to the board members/family members. Just please, please, please keep an eye on your or your loved ones' liver function. Some supplements, particularly herbal, container "fillers". Although rare, in the 5 years I spent as a liver/kidney/pancreas transplant RN, I've seen a range of mild and reversible to significant and irreversible liver damage from herbals. Of course, as Dwight said, there are other prescription medications out there that have other lovely side effects like decreased heart function. So it really is your body chemistry and how it reacts. Just watch it carefully. :)
Thank you for flying Miracle Airlines. The only airline where 'Lady Luck' is your co-pilot.
flychica
Co-pilot

Postby KaizokuShojo » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:25 pm

Sandilynn wrote:This breaks my heart to hear of this. Thank God for your wonderful wife and her diligence in finding something that works better and hopefully with fewer or no side effects. Continuing to keep you and your loved ones in prayer.

Amen.

My dad's been in absolutely horrible condition since his wreck (that was about...either 1986 or 1987). He's essentially just been falling apart slowly since then, and he has much by the way of pain and inflammation problems. It's caused him to not really get to always be there for us, but he does what he can, going to work in a factory each day where he has to do heavy work (manufacturing big-rig trucks and buses). As it's gotten worse and worse, he's become very verbally abusive--pretty much in the last six years or so--and it's hard to bear. I've looked for ways to reduce his pain, but most remedies are dangerous or ineffective. For a while he took pokeweed berries ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytolacca_americana ), which had been recommended to him by Amish, and claimed they helped, but he stopped--I think due to fear of their toxicity. It's really not fun dealing with such a foul situation--trying to keep myself from being upset with him/blaming him for treating us so badly, because I know he's hurting, and there was nothing we'd found that helps.

But now, I hear about this. I thank God that this seems to be working for Dwight so far. I'm DEFINITELY going to look into it for dad, because...well, he needs something that will finally work.

Bless you, Dwight.
"Doctor! My capillaries are shrinking!"
Image POKEMON TRAINER MURDOCK wants to battle!
KaizokuShojo
Chopper Pilot

Postby Bix » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:57 am

Long-term chronic pain is definitely a mood-changer... which makes it all the more surprising at how wonderful and patient that Dwight was towards our motley crew in Novi. :D

In '93, I injured my shoulder while onboard ship; eventually it got so bad that I couldn't lift my arm parallel to my shoulder. The pain got to the point where, when it surged up, I'd hit my head against a wall or a pole to distract myself from it. (Needless to say, this did not make me a pleasant person to be around--not that I am now, with my current shopping list of medical issues, mind you.) But, yea, when pain is constant, it alters your personality.
"They sell a LOT of tin foil in your town, don't they?"
Bix
Stunt Pilot

Postby Milena » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:21 am

Bix wrote:But, yea, when pain is constant, it alters your personality.

That's true. When pain is constant you become impatient, the effort to endure the pain decreases the ability to endure more .. you're exhausted!
Milena
Stunt Pilot

Next

Return to Miscellaneous